nuffnang

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Tats, Tits and Toddlers.

I'm not a heavily tattooed mummy....yet!.... but plan on getting a lot more ink within the next couple of years.
So that means i will be a young mum with visible ink and a young child in tow.




I am to be society's nightmare!

But why?

I am a good parent, my giggle girl is always healthy and mostly happy (shes a toddler....expect some huge tanties!) shes a clever cookie. she isn't beaten, abused or stupidly spoilt. I provide her with healthy food and she is always clean and dressed appropriately for the weather conditions.

So how come my choice to have art on my arms makes me automatically a bad person and parent?

Society's attitude towards tattoos is changing, most of the 18-25 year old males that i know have at least one tough sticker etched into their skin for life. But mothers seem to be exempt for this evolution of attitudes. Are mothers still expected to conform to society's ideal of "normal?" what about the funky, sexy alternative looking mummies out there raising wonderful, grounded, beautiful children?


I would love to hear from any tattooed mummies out there, are you judged based on whats on your skin?


Love and Smiles
Z.












2 comments:

That Freebie Place said...

Well, I only have one tatt on my hip, so its not visible to the public, but I do know a lot of moms who have some tatts. No biggie. I think what I get judged for more is the fact that I tend to look younger than I am. When I was pregnant, I'd get comments like "You poor thing, what grade are you in?" I was 19 and 22 during my pregnancies, so it was insulting, lol. One woman even chastised me for becoming a single mom in high school (neither of which were even close to true!)

Oh, and I also get some crap from my family about wearing black. Like owning a couple black shirts makes me a hardcore goth or something. I just don't happen to like dressing in bright colors (except pink on occasion).

People can be really silly sometimes!

Mary Beth said...

Cant speak personally as I have only one tat on my belly, but my close friend, mother of a 3 yo, is heavily tat'd, sleeves n all. She is judged every time she leaves her house. no joke. People feel they have the right to make rude comments to her as well, and often. In front of her child. She has been told more many times she is going to hell (mostly by the elderly)!! I find it to be sad and ridiculous she is judged by strangers as to what kind of mother she is. And she is an awesome mommy. My own mother who met her, judged her by her artwork, I had to lecture her about that!
and lol W.U., I also look young for my age, ok, it's catching up w/ me now :) w/ my 1st 2 pregnancies, I was 25 and 28, I was taken for a pregnant teen!! And people felt the need to comment to me about it!!