nuffnang

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Things my mother was right about.

My mum is right about most things (although i would never tell her, the world doesn't need an "I told you so" that huge!) these are just a few of the things i was told from the time i was young.

Do pelvic floor exercises.
I had these explained to me from the time I was ten years old. "flex your muscles like you are holding in a wee" in theory I should be able to crush a coke can but after having a baby i still, like most other mothers, cross my legs when I sneeze. Just in case.

If you've got it, flaunt it. But only one area at a time.
Obviously this advise wasn't given to the prosta-tots I see hanging out at Parramatta shopping centre with EVERYTHING hanging out and nothing is left to the imagination. What's more disturbing is if you don't have "it" and you flaunt everything anyhow

Breast is best.
I had a rough start in to the world of breast feeding. my daughter was 6 weeks old before she would latch properly, before that she was given expressed breast milk which i pumped up to 5-6 times a day. As soon as she started latching and feeding properly it was such a wonderful feeling, it was like we were connected not just physically but in spirit as well. i wish i was feeding her still now, and she is well over a year old, but when she was 5 months old my body made a decision for me and shut down my milk supply. I am happy in the knowledge that i gave my child the best start possible.

Always go with your gut instinct
There have been times in my teenage years that i ignored everything my senses were screaming at me and over time those signals turned from a shout to a mumble. It took a long time to learn to listen to my gut again and since becoming a mum i rely on these instincts more and more. Mum also told me when i was younger if something didn't feel right that i could leave the situation and she would back me up no matter what. That is the kind of parent I want to be.



what advice were you given as a child that has stuck with you?


love and smiles
Z.

No comments: